The profession of the graphic designer consists of projects that involve graphic design and
visual identity: complete visual projects that include symbols, logos, trademarks, visual-
identity systems, equipment and orientation, packaging, signage, and general information.
Prominent in this group is the publishing industry, with publications, books, catalogs,
magazines, booklets, posters, folders, and printed matter of every kind, as well as the
television and motion picture media. From the esthetic-cognitive and social point of view,
the task of design is understood to mean a way of capturing reality, confronting problems in
their entirety, of translating reality into a system of objects with their technical, ethical, and
For all of these reasons, graphic design has achieved the status of a full-fledged and
respectable profession and sits among the most successful of the new professions. There is
every reason to believe that this boom will continue, in harmony with the expansion and
progress of the technologies of graphic and audiovisual communication.
The Graphic Design curriculum at JMVU has been structured to train designers to reach a high
academic level, with optimum levels of quality. Unlike many educational centers, whose
curricula place the emphasis almost exclusively on technical and practical matters, the
curriculum of Jose Maria Vargas University has the special feature of combining theory with
practice. We believe that the study of Art History, Theory of Form, Theory of Design and
Styles, Theory of Color, and the like, which are indispensable in the field of theory, combined
with the study of Graphic Design, other technical disciplines, research in the field, and the
completion of workshop classes result in a program that leads to the formation of an
excellent graphic designer.
What does a graphic designer do?
Along with writers, clients, and other creative people who decide on what the content or message should be, graphic designers make the content look appealing to the client’s audience. Graphic designers are the people who design the magazines, product labels, shopping bags, websites, cereal boxes, newspapers, logos, stationery, books, movie posters, billboards, and millions of other things that we see many times every day. Is graphic design fun?
Absolutely. If you’re good at art, and like working with words, type, illustrations
and images, you’ll probably enjoy graphic design.
What qualifications do I need to be a graphic designer?
Most graphic designers have a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Graphic Design.
What software do graphic designers use?
Being a good software user is important, but it’s not as important as being a creative thinker. That said, the most common software used in the graphic design industry is listed below. There are applications other than the ones below, but these are the industry standards. Page Layout
– For creating brochures, flyers, books, reports, etc. These two applications are in direct competition with each other. Quark came first but the industry favorite has become InDesign. InDesign is my strong preference. ▪ Adobe InDesign Illustration
– For creating logos, charts, icons, or almost any kind of vector-based illustration. ▪ Adobe Illustrator
Photos and Images
– For working with any kind of pixel-based image like photos or scanned hand-drawn artwork. ▪ Adobe Photoshop Website Design
- For creating and working with websites. ▪ Adobe Dreamweaver
Type of computer used? Mac or PC?
Simple answer, Mac.
Who does a graphic designer work for?
Graphic designers usually work one of three ways:
1. Graphic designers can work for themselves and find their own clients. This is a freelance graphic designer.
Freelance graphic designers may rent office space, or most often, work from a room in their home. Many freelance designers specialize in one area such as real estate or health care. Others are generalists and have many different types of clients.
2. Some graphic designers work for a company that has quite a bit of graphic design needs, but not so much that they would need an army of designers. This is an in-house graphic designer
. An in-house designer might work for a company that makes lighting fixtures. So the designer spends all of his or her time designing projects about the company’s lighting fixtures.
3. Other graphic designers work for a graphic design firm. A graphic design firm
may employ just a few designers or many designers. This kind of job is a good place to start out because the environment is usually creative and stimulating.